Sunday 22 April 2018

Mystery Tour - day one.


22nd April 2018 - Melbourne.

Perfect sunny day in April, day one of my, hopefully, regular mystery trips.

I headed into the city not being completely sure what my plans were, although I had a few ideas to work with.

From Flinders Street Station I walked down towards the Yarra River and asked at the ticket box about the cruise trips. 
Decision made!
With my seniors card offering discount  I waited with the other tourists for the 'Yarra Queen' to arrive. I chose the hour trip as I wanted to fit other activities into my day, but vowed to come back and do a bigger trip another time. Twenty minutes early so I head further down the bank and take more photos of the Cormorant Tree. 


'Yarra Queen'
Crying toddlers and being seated a distance away from the window had me a bit disappointed at the start, well, until the tour guide/pilot mentioned we could go on deck. 

I shoveled up my bag and camera and scuttled my way past the noisy darlings, smiling to those parents who inevitably were regretting their decision of bringing their screaming ankle biters onto such a confined space.

The cruise took us upstream and although it was not the most scenic of views I did manage to take quite a number of photos. Lots of bridges, lots of rowers and a lot of me squeezing between other touristy types on the small deck to get that brilliant image. Returning back on the other side of the river and feeling accomplished that I have ticked off one of my 'must do' activities.

Yarra River, heading back.

Time for a feed and I wander around Federation Square and have a lovely healthy lunch of Chicken and Mango salad. Full stomach and I am ready to find something else to do.

Perfect timing allowed me to run into an old friend who suggested Hosier Lane across the road as a place of interest. Brilliant, always wanted to check out those murals hiding in Melbourne's lane ways. 

Tourists seem to follow me for once again I find myself amongst them,  camera's and phones clicking away. Newlyweds posed against the backdrop of vibrant colours. A kitchen worker on break, sits amongst the splash of colour, chatting on his phone.


I find two lovely young girls and ask if they will take my photo, they did and didn't run off with my camera either . . . bonus.
A warm glow bounces off the shadowed walls, silhouetted figures follow the laneway back to where it meets Flinders Street and a strong light tells you, you are there.



My day is done and I head back to the station and home again, thinking about my next mystery trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Procrastination and Spirit Animals

  For over a year I have procrastinated on my well overdue novel. I was the queen of procrastination and people were even making smug commen...