Monday 5 March 2018

Organisation is a skill.


Organisation is a skill.

As an author of historical fiction and non-fiction I have learnt the importance in having your research organised and easy to access.
It takes a lot of skill to be organised.

"Skill?"  Really, organisation is a skill? 

Yes, I surprised myself with this realisation, so let us now define the word skill - 'ability to do something well, coming from one's knowledge, expertness, adeptness, adroitness, deftness, dexterity, ability, prowess, mastery, competence, competency, capability, efficiency, aptitude, artistry, art, finesse, flair, virtuosity, experience, professionalism, talent, cleverness, smartness, ingenuity, versatility, knack, readiness, handiness; informal know-how' ....phew!

For years I have tried to develop this skill; filing, over filing, splitting folders into different categories, but what if a subject fits two different categories, do I link the two some way? What if five kings are mentioned in the same article and I want to file them separately, or under their kingdoms or ...

So I buy more folders, (I am old fashioned and love working with hard copies) and more folders, splitting and filing, and changing my mind until I am almost in chaos.

Almost!

Almost because at least the research is filed and accessible, however, it appears I am not as skilled in the art of being organised as I would like and I know I have a lot of work to do to get there.

I have come to the conclusion: to be organised you need to have good secretarial skills, a good filing system, be a very tidy person and have a good working space.

I have none of these.

I decided to do a quick search online to see what other authors might suggest - this one amused me - 'File all loose papers in the appropriate place.'

... and we are back to square one!


2 comments:

  1. Lovely read Margaret, amazing what we see but sometimes take very little notice of, You appear to have captured every little detail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. Sorry for late reply.

    ReplyDelete

Procrastination and Spirit Animals

  For over a year I have procrastinated on my well overdue novel. I was the queen of procrastination and people were even making smug commen...